Why Do A Digital Detox?
A digital detox is a period of time when someone eliminates the use of tech devices such as mobile phones, televisions, computers, tablets, and any social media sites.
“Detoxing” from digital devices can be seen as a great way to land your focus back to reality without any digital distractions. By participating in this, at least temporarily, people can let go of the stress that stems from constant connectivity.
Why Participate In A Digital Detox?
- Technology Can Be Stressful: While it’s common for people to feel like they couldn’t imagine life without their tech devices, research has found that technology use can significantly contribute to stress. For many, it is the ever-present digital connection and constant need to keep checking emails, texts, and social media that accounts for the majority of tech stress.
- Digital Devices Can Disrupt Sleep: Evidence also suggests that heavy device use, particularly prior to bedtime, can disrupt with the quality and length of sleep you get. It was found that in-bed electronic social media use has adverse effects on sleep and mood, and that using social media when you are in bed at night increases the likelihood of anxiety, insomnia, and shorter sleep duration.
- Heavy Device Use May Be Linked to Mental Health Concerns: Heavy daily technology has been associated with an increased risk for mental health problems among adolescents. More time spent using digital technologies is linked to increased symptoms of ADHD and conduct disorder, as well as worse self-regulation. Popular social media sites such as Facebook, Snapchat, and Instagram have been linked to decreased well-being, which can result in depression and loneliness.
- Constant Connectivity Affects Work/Life Balance: The stubborn feeling of always being connected can make creating boundaries between your home life and work life very difficult. It can be so hard to resist the temptation to check your email, respond to a colleague, or check in on your social media sites even when you’re on vacation. It was found that technology use played a role in structuring an individual’s work-life balance, which suggested that the use of internet and mobile technologies influenced overall job satisfaction, stress, and feelings of overwork.
Participating in a digital detox may help establish a healthier and less stressful work-life balance.
Signs You May Need A Digital Detox:
- You feel stressed without your phone
- You need to check your phone constantly
- You feel depressed or anxious after spending time on social media
- You find yourself staying up late or getting up early to play on your phone
- You have trouble concentrating on one thing without having to check your phone
The Good Index is Australia’s leading retreat guide, created to inspire you to take a break with health as your number one priority. One platform with hundreds of wellness destinations to discover. Reconnect with what’s important to you and experience the benefits of retreats first hand.